Requirements to obtain a Class 1 Driving Instructor Permit in Manitoba
There are many requirements to meet prior to obtaining a Class 1 Instructor Permit in Manitoba. Please read through the following carefully to ensure you meet the qualifications to successfully complete the training. Participants are strongly encouraged to contact MPI to ensure they qualify to become an instructor. Contact MPI’s Driver Training Unit at 204-985-8063 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information regarding the permit.
Once you meet the requirements and have confirmed that with MPI, you may proceed with the Instructor Preparation Course as outlined on the Class 1 (MELT) Instructor page.
- Language Requirements
- Driver Record
- Driving Experience
- Criminal Code
- Require an English language assessment?
Have you successfully completed the equivalent of three years of full-time secondary (high school) education in Canada, the United States, or an ELR exempt country where English was the language of instruction? To view a list of ELR exempt countries click here.
If YES, you meet English language requirements. Submit your transcripts or diploma for verification purposes.
If you completed all of your education in Canada, the United States, or an ELR exempt country in English but did not complete three years of high school, submit your transcripts for review.
Approved English language assessments and required levels for this program are:
- Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) Certificate – exit Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) levels from an English as a second language (ESL) program: Listening 7.0, Speaking 7.0, Reading 7.0, Writing 7.0
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS – Academic): Listening 6.0 Speaking 6.0, Reading 6.0, Writing 6.0
- Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST): Listening 4.0, Speaking 4.0, Reading 3.5 Writing 3.5 OR
- Duolingo English Test: Minimum Overall 115
If completing an assessment, we strongly advise you complete it before submitting your application to ensure you meet language requirements.
English Language Proficiency Assessment results must be dated within two years of your application date.
To make an appointment to complete the CanTEST assessments, you can go to the Red River College, Language Training Centre website at https://www.rrc.ca/ltc/information/lpa/assessments/ or visit at 300-123 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB R3C 1A3 or contact by phone at (204) 945-6151.
No suspensions or prohibitions from driving as the result of being convicted of an offence under The Drivers and Vehicles Act or The Highway Traffic Act or a regulation of these Acts.
No suspensions or prohibitions from driving as the result of being convicted of an offence under the Criminal Code (Canada).
During the three years immediately before the date you apply, you must:
- Have held a valid full-stage licence (issued by a province or territory of Canada or by a state of the United States) for the class of licence you wish to instruct.
- Not have had more than two violations of the Driver and Vehicles Act or the Highway Traffic This includes violations under any similar Act or regulations in any other North American jurisdiction.
- Not have had more than two at-fault accidents. This includes accidents in any other North American jurisdiction.
- Not have been convicted of a an offence under the Driver and Vehicles Act, Highway Traffic Act or a regulation of these Acts for which a demerit value of 10 or more was set out under the Driver Safety System Regulation.
NOTE: If you are not sure if your driver record and/or driving experience meet the criteria, please contact the Driver Training Permit Unit before proceeding with the requirements.
Class 1 and 3 applicants must provide confirmation of their mileage. This includes supporting documents such as logbooks and paystubs accompanied by their employers confirmation on company letterhead. This letter must include the company’s contact information, as well as the title of the person signing the letter. The following are the minimum mileage requirements during the four years immediately before the date of application:
- Class 1 – 500,000 kilometres or 6,000 hours in a class 1 vehicle
- Class 3 – 250,000 kilometres or 3,000 hours in a class 3 vehicle
During the five years immediately before the date you apply you must not have:
- Two or more convictions under the Criminal Code of Canada by means of a motor vehicle or while driving or having care and control of a motor vehicle.
- Any convictions under the Criminal Code (Canada) of an offence against a person, a sexual offence, or an offence involving moral turpitude.
- Been convicted of a contravention of The Human Rights Code or the Canadian Human Rights Act or a similar Act of another province or territory of Canada.
English language assessments can be completed at the MTA office
25 Bunting Street, Winnipeg, MB
For anyone with Class 1 driver instructor candidates who need to meet the English language benchmarks as outlined by MPI, a pre-assessment is now available through the MTA. Candidates who pass this pre-assessment are not required to complete the standardized benchmark test. This pre-assessment can be completed at the MTA office.
The language assessment is two hours. Candidates will be assessed on reading, writing, and listening.
Appointments are available at the MTA office at 0900 and 1300, Monday to Friday. Assessments must be pre-booked by emailing email@example.com.
All materials for the assessment will be provided (paper, pencil, headsets). Materials will be sanitized between uses.
Phones and other resources must be left with MTA staff during the assessment.