June 20, 2022 – After a two-year hiatus, the Professional Truck Driving Championship returned to Manitoba over the weekend.
After a full day on June 18 at Headingley Esso where drivers showcased their skills in the written test, pre-trip competition, and driving track, the day’s winners were announced at the Driver Awards Banquet:
- Single-Tandem: Raith Tymchak, XPO Logistics
- Tandem-Tandem: Brian Chandler, XPO Logistics
- Super B: David Henry, Crazy Canuck Truckin
- Turnpike: Roy Dillon, TransX Group of Companies
Rookie of the Year honours went to Yaroslav Mylyan of Alim Freight. Hal Bjornson Memorial Award winner was Roy Dillon (TransX Group of Companies), and Top Team was Bison 2, from Bison Transport. Top honours for the Manitoba Professional Truck Driving Championship went to Grand Champion David Henry of Crazy Canuck Truckin.
The Manitoba Driver Awards Banquet is also the night when the industry’s top commercial drivers are recognized through the MTA-Inland Group Industry Excellence Awards. Annually, ten professional drivers who epitomize excellence in the trucking industry are recognized. These drivers have demonstrated a commitment to the industry, safety, customer service and their communities. They may have performed acts of outstanding bravery or courage; they may have driven many years accident-free, or they may participate in events such as the Professional Truck Driving Championship. Industry Excellence award winners for this year are:
- Darren Binne, New Hope Transport Ltd.
- David Read, Big Freight Systems Inc.
- Ernest Harder, Steve’s Livestock Transport Ltd.
- Glen Sharpe, Searcy Trucking Ltd.
- Jason Larocque, Kleysen Group Ltd.
- John Marsh, Steve’s Livestock Transport Ltd.
- Konstantin Khomenko, Arnold Bros Transport Ltd.
- Maureen Scott, Arnold Bros. Transport Ltd.
- Norman Wieler, Steve’s Livestock Transport Ltd.
- Timothy Obenauer, Gardewine Group Inc.
The night’s top honours went to Jason Larocque of Kleysen Group Ltd, the 2022 MTA-Volvo Trucks Canada Manitoba Driver of the Year. Larocque is an industry veteran with over two million safe miles under his belt. Larocque was described as “the type of driver every fleet manager wants to have on their fleet, every CSR wants to send to the customer, and every other employee wants to work with. He makes the rest of our lives a little bit easier just by showing up. He consistently gets the job done, and he does it well.”
The Manitoba Trucking Association would like to thank the Professional Truck Driving Championship committee, volunteers, drivers, and sponsors who contribute to the success of the day.
- Grand Champion: David Henry, Crazy Canuck Truckin
- First Place award winners (l-r:) David Henry, Brian Chandler, Raith Tymchak, and Roy Dillon
- Top Team: Bison 2, Bison Transport
- Hal Bjornson Memorial Award: Roy Dillon, TransX Group of Companies
- MTA Inland Group Industry Excellence Award winners
- MTA Volvo Trucks Canada Driver of the Year: Jason Larocque, Kleysen Group Ltd.