With the holiday season underway, people are plugging in lights, ornaments and extra holiday décor for all to enjoy. With this comes the extra risk of electrical fires. A few reminders when it comes to setting up and enjoying lights, displays and music safely.
When you are conducting pre- inspections of extension cords, outlets and power cords, you will take a look for the following:
- Is there any tape on cords?
- Are there any areas of cords that are frayed?
- Are there any cuts in the cord that are showing wire?
- Is the power bar overloaded/ full?
- Are there power bars plugged into power bars?
- Are there any extension cords used as permanent sources of power?
- What does the area around the electrical panel(s) look like? Is the area(s) free from obstruction
- What conditions are the receptacles in? Is there any sign of wear or burns?